3.0 Introdction
The Chapel of St. Anthony houses the Saint’s mortal remains, which were moved here in 1350. It is the second chapel dedicated to St. Anthony, and was built to replace the original Gothic-style chapel frescoed in the 14th century by Stefano da Ferrara, now completely lost.
Entirely covered in marble, the chapel has a 5-arched loggia surmounted by a double attic. In the topmost attic, from left to right, we find: St. Justine, St. John the Baptist, St. Anthony in the center, St. Prosdocimo and St. Daniel.
In the center, the chapel is occupied by the Saint’s Ark: this is a type of raised tomb. On the back of the ark, devotees, as a sign of affection and reliance on St. Anthony’s intercession, rest their hands on a precious marble slab which has become smooth and polished through centuries of devotion.
The altar, from the late 16th century, is the work of Titian Aspetti; it is decorated with bronze statues of Saints Bonaventure and Ludwig of Anjou next to St. Anthony.
On the walls all around the Tomb are 9 marble high-reliefs depicting St. Anthony’s miracles.